Waste management is a cool way to keep the environment and nearby surroundings clean and tidy. Recycling is an easy way to protect the environment and also ensure the wellbeing of the community. Recycling can be successful only when active participation of every member of the community is seen. People to reduce their trash and encourage reuse of materials made from recycled products help in conservation of society.
Recycling is a wonderful method of using your old and discarded items in a new avatar. There are so many things we discard on a daily basis, that when you actually see everything put together, you will get a rude shock. These discarded items pose a great danger on the environment as they cannot be decomposed easily. Another benefit of recycling is that we use our natural resources to the limit and do not exhaust them. If you want to know more about recycling tips and facts, then read on further.
Facts and Tips
- An average American disposes 600 times the amount of their adult weight into garbage in his lifetime. A person weighing 150 pounds will leave trash amounting to 90,000 pounds during his lifetime.
- Recycling helps to protect the environment and our local communities. It helps to conserve resources and energy and also helps to preserve landfill space.
- It also helps to support a healthy environment.
- Recycling one ton of aluminum saves 14000 kWh of energy and saves 39.6 barrels of oil. It also saves 237.6 million Btu’s of energy and 10 cubic yards of landfill space.
- To recycle aluminum, you can crush old cans or leave them uncrushed. These then go to a recycle factory where they are cleaned, reshaped and remolded again.
- It is also better to rinse aluminum cans before trashing them as this will prevent odor or bugs.
- Similarly, one ton of cardboard recycled saves 390 kWh of energy, 1.1 barrels of oil and 6.6 million Btu’s of energy. You can recycle cardboard by removing all other materials from the box such as packing materials, plastic wrap, etc. Then break down the box to save storage space. Also, keep the box free from food waste as it can get wet and spoiled
- Recycling a ton of glass saves 43 kWh of energy, 0.12 barrels of oil and 2 cubic yards of landfill space. You can recycle glass by rinsing out with water. You need not remove the labels as these are removed when the glass is crushed or melted down. Also, do not break down the glass as this makes it unfit for recycling.
- Recycling one ton of paper saves 4,100 kWh of energy, 9 barrels of oil, 3.3 cubic yards of space, 60 pounds of air pollutants that are released and 7000 gallons of water. It also saves 17 trees.
- To recycle paper you should remove the liner and all the food from inside the box, flatten the box and place it in a paper sack with other junk mail, mixed papers and magazines. Papers that are non-recyclable are tissue, carbon paper and wax paper.
- To recycle plastic items you should first separate the soda-pet bottles, cooking oil bottles and peanut butter jars in one container and milk, water, juice bottles, bleach and detergent bottles, etc in another container. Next, you should separate PVC materials, LDPE., PP and PS materials all in different containers. These should be all disposed and trashed separately so that it is easy to recycle them.
These are some waste and recycling facts and tips that can be useful.